Thursday, November 10, 2011

#6 Reflection on the course

Reflecting back on my initial motivation to take this module, I can confidently say that I have gained more than I expected to. (If you cannot recall, you can refer to my blogpost #1. If you are too lazy to, well… basically I wanted to improve my verbal communication skills, in particular to be able to effectively articulate my thoughts and intentions into words.)

In what sense have I gained more than what I hoped to? I did learn how to better communicate with others verbally. But more than that, I believe I have also learnt how to communicate appropriately and effectively, whether non-verbally or in writing, and in different contexts. For purposes of this post however, I will share my reflections on what I have learnt from giving presentations.

Presentations are nothing new to me, but the rubrics for this module demanded something more from me (not implying it is a bad thing!) The first “presentation” we did was the business story-telling. I received my first comment that moved too much (as mentioned in my blogpost #5).

The next was peer teaching. Preparation of content was not difficult, because we were given links to the relevant resources. I enjoy sharing and talking, so I thought it would be comfortable for me. However, based on peer feedback, I gestured too much, and was too repetitive in the points I made. And again, I received the same constructive feedback – I move too much!

The same feedback was shared to me when I did the elevator pitch and the mock oral presentation. I realized it was a very bad habit of mine. Also, as I have mentioned, I tend to beat around the bush, or say the same thing in different forms (thinking that I have not illustrated my point well enough for others to understand).

However, it only served to me improve in my presentation skills. I learnt to be more mindful of my posture, and the words that I say. I start to be more attentive to these bad habits when I practiced for my oral presentation. I practiced in front of the mirror and in front of my friends. I wrote scripts so that I would not repeat the same points, but keep them clear and concise. And I think my effort did pay off for the final oral presentation.

Even though this module has come to an end, I don’t think my learning is done. I believe by intentional practice and with more constructive feedback from others, I can only become a better presenter: someone that engages the audience and effectively brings her intended message across.

Cheers to ES2007S, Professional Communication!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Noelle,

    I have also gained more than I expected to! I think we all witnessed your great improvements! As for me,when I speak in Chinese I will also tend to explain too much on some details fearing that others can't understand my points well.Now I realize that sometimes the more I explain, the more confused my audience are.Therefore,I try to be concise.I know it's hard to change one's speaking habits.However, I saw the achievements you had in this module,which I think will encourage me too!

    Best wishes to you! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Noelle!

    Yes I am sure all of us will agree that we all grew to become better communicators from this course! To be frank, when I first heard you speaking, I could not understand much on what you were saying because you were beating around the bush. But gradually, I am sure you learned from the feedback and really improved. I feel that you are a much better presenter today.

    Nevertheless, as you have put it, learning is not done yet. The same applies to me too.

    Thank you and all the best to your exams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noelle,

    Just something for you to take note off during your verbal communication. I've observed that 99% of the time, when you ask me "do you get what I am saying" , I usually don't. So you may want to keep it in mind next time. Have confidence in what you have learnt, code/decode your messages well, and i'm sure the message will get across. If you see a clueless look, just explain it again to be safe, skip the asking.


    (Ok the rest of you reading comments, i'm going to write a long thank you note for my teamates, so you can skip this)

    You have been such an awesome teamate for the project! Honestly, me and Arij both agree that we'd won't have worked so hard if you hadn't been so motivated at the beginning.I guess it really takes a spark to get the fire going, and that's really a great strength to have.

    Best of luck for your FYP, I'm sure you'll create the next Robocop/Luke Skywalker arm/rotator cuff. (I may need one after another 10 years of playing tennis so remember to give me a discount:) )

    Side note:I agree, lets take Arij and Michael out after the exams! See you at prof Angs meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Noelle,

    Yes, I think everyone learnt more (a lot more) in terms of presentation and in every aspect of presentation.

    It’s good to know that you have taken note of all criticism and tried to improve. We definitely saw the improvements after each different presentation.
    And, yes I agree that our learning does not end here.

    If only there’s an ES2007S part 2…

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a well-crafted reflection, Noelle, on your journey through presenting/speaking in ES2007S. I like the way you start this post with the overview of your objective in taking the course, and then how you present a question that is duly answered. You give a clear and concise yet complete description of several stages in the process, and you focus on your nonverbals and how those have evolved since you became made more aware.

    I also appreciate the ease of your prose in this reflection. It's a pleasure to read.

    Thank you for all your admirable efforts this term. It's clear that you had specific objectives for ES2007S, and that to a great degree you've achieved those. If you make similar efforts for your other goals, you should go very far. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Noelle,

    I also have the feeling that I acquired more than I expected.

    You have done an excellent job in the OP. I can feel the great improvement you have made from the peer teaching. I remembered that you like to say "...like, you know". In fact, we have the similar expression in Chinese when we can not find a suitable sentence to express ourselves.(Usually the listener understands the meaning of the speaker) For a foreign non-English speaker like me, sometimes it is difficult to get your idea.

    Thanks for your help in the project. You contributed the most in our team and you motivated me to move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Noelle,

    This is a very comprehensive reflection :) I've always thought that you asked very good questions in class. It shows that you were paying attention! haha..Anyway, good luck in your final year in NUS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Group 8 classmates,

    Thank you for all your comments! I know it sounds really general, but I really do appreciate everyone for their constructive feedback and encouragement..

    See you guys when I do! :D

    ReplyDelete